View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 11:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller100 View Post
ok, at low speeds acceleration of the car from a stop is the biggest issue. then comes rolling, and then aero.

I mis"spoke".
But still, rolling resistance is not nearly as important as the energy to start and stop the vehicle in typical city traffic.

Interesting that you put most of your miles at under 38 mph. Do you feel safe at those speeds on the freeway?
Quote:
ok, at low speeds acceleration of the car from a stop is the biggest issue. then comes rolling, and then aero.
This statement needs to be qualified.

In a stop/go situation, then yes, acceleration can be a large factor. However coasting in the same situation can nullify this effect and then some.

Anyone who gets let's say, 150 mpg during hypermiling contests, is using this same technique to great effect.

I can get higher mileage in town under the proper conditions, than out on a deserted country road.

Quote:
Interesting that you put most of your miles at under 38 mph. Do you feel safe at those speeds on the freeway?
It is for that reason that I do NOT drive on the highway, but instead go out of my way to take backroads to/from work. This gives me the freedom to drive at much slower speeds where there is relatively lower traffic.

In this situation, the effects acceleration is nil and Cd next, with Crr being the largest drag factor.

Jim.