View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #30 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller100 View Post
Wow.

My apologies.

You are doing something completely different then I thought you were doing.

Your mileage is spectacular!
Thanks!

Actually, most of my driving on back country roads is very typical of most other motorists, except that I drive at a slower speed to keep losses to a minimum.

On the way to work there are at least 10 sections of road that go from the posted 55 mph limit to a lower speed such as 35 or even 25 mph.

When this transition happens, I shut off the injectors to the motor and stop the ICE, and then coast all the way to the lower speed limit sign.

Sometimes I restart the ICE to maintain a 25 mph speed. Other times I coast down to 10 mph or so towards a stop sign.

I am constantly tailoring my driving to accommodate current conditions, such as traffic or colder/hotter weather conditions and so on.

The ICE engine in the Honda is amazingly versatile, as I can routinely drive all the way down to 28 mph in fifth gear with a very light throttle, and using HV battery assist when needed, and even in the colder conditions. I've had the car three years now, and it's inspiring how the car has taught me how to ecodrive. And that is the main reason why the gas records have continued to climb. The aero mods are only part of the equation.

Driving the way I am right now, I would have to venture that the brake pads would last the life of the vehicle, since they are rarely used to slow down on the drive to work.

Obviously, city driving at rush hour is a whole other matter, of which I am spared due to the nature of my current drive route.

Jim.