View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Geo Tracker 4x4 info wanted for possible Hybrid use

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some more detailed information specific to 4X4 Geo Trackers or Suzuki Sidekicks.

Specifically, I would like to figure out if it might make a good platform for a DIY Plug-In Hybrid Vehicle.

I have nearly no 4x4 knowledge or experience, so that's why I am asking. My idea is that a smaller/lighter 4-wheel-drive vehicle might make a good hybrid. The concept is to leave the existing engine (or possibly a diesel conversion) connected to two drive wheels, and attach an electric motor to to the other two drive wheels.

The vehicle would be a "parallel hybrid" - it could be driven with either the engine OR the motor. The downside is that you sort of need TWO of everything; both a gas tank AND a battery pack, etc.

I wikipedia'ed how 4x4 systems work and the Geo Tracker, but really couldn't find any good details of the Geo Tracker 4X4 system. If somebody who has a 4x4 Tracker, and would be kind enough to explain/describe how it works on that vehicle, I would appreciate it!

My understanding is that power from the engine goes through the the transmission, to the transfer case, and normally (2-wheel drive mode) does to just the rear two wheels through a differential. When you are in four-wheel drive mode, power gets split in the transfer case to both the front and back wheels. (Please correct me if this isn't right!!!!)(Also, how combined or separate are the transmission and transfer case on this vehicle?)

I'd like to know if it would be possible to disconnect the transfer case to either the front or the back axle and mount an electric drive motor to that differential. (The motor would NOT connect to the transfer case, just directly to one of the drive axles.)

I'd then want to be able to drive the vehicle from either set of wheels. (Also, possibly driving the vehicle with the engine while doing light regen with the motor.)

I'd like to know if this is possible. I built an electric car and know all the little details that need to be worked out to make that happen. Mostly, I'm looking to find out the details of the Geo Tracker 4x4 system.

I'd like to know if it would be better to put the electric on the front or the back and why. I'd also like to know the vehicle weight and gross vehicle weight and the exact size of the cargo area, as all that figures in to how many batteries and where they can be carried.

Thank you in advance for your help on this!

-Ben

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos