View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
FXSTi
EcoModding Apprentice

Grasshopper - '11 Ford Fiesta SES
Team Ford
90 day: 50.37 mpg (US)

Feejer - '09 Yamaha FJR1300 AE
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.73 mpg (US)
Welcome to the forum;

The Scan Gauge or Ultragauge can offer a lot more feedback and give feedback on many parameters to help you improve mileage.

The instant MPG should jump all over the place. The way to use it is to spend as much time as you can with high readings. Quite often, while cruising along, you will show Xmpg, by adjusting your right foot ever so slightly you can see an increase without dropping speed.

Calibrating the gauge is helpful, but you can also just use it as a relative indication of performance right out of the box. It sounds like your car is equipped pretty well for feedback. An add on gauge can give you the ability to calibrate for accuracy and add some additional feedback such as, engine load and gallons per minute. These parameters can help you to understand how different driving techniques and modifications affect fuel consumption.

Check your odometer accuracy against mileposts or gps. The truth is that improving your MPG figures though, is relative. The idea being that you want to travel as far as you can on each drop of fuel, regardless of the accuracy of the gauges.

I don't know if data logging is possible with the Scan Gauge and I'm pretty sure that it can't interface with gps. All cars sold in the United States since 1996 have OBDII I think that Europe is the same, but I'm not certain.

Kirk