View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #74 (permalink)
drmiller100
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
Are you making your own doors or are you reusing doors from another vehicle? doors with windows that roll up and down have always seemed like a big challenge for the home built vehicle.
I also wonder how you are titling this vehicle, you said you had that figured out but didn't say any more on the topic.

Ryland, thank you for a voice of interest in MY Project.

Today I bent up the "main" rollbar hoop. It certainly makes things interesting.

I also mocked up a couple of longtitudinal bars - The car keeps getting taller and taller. I am using 1.5 inch DOM tubing as that is the die I have for my Mandrel Bender. I had "enough" height, then I put a 1.5 roll bar in, and now I want more. Keep in mind - I'm a BIG guy - 73 inches tall, and a svelte 275 or so.

I am using donor doors off of a car. The doors I am using include "free" windows which roll up and down and door latches and side impact protection. As you hinted, there is a LOT of work in making windows roll up and down.

I will tell you what they are when I get to the point I am comfortable putting pics up - hopefully later in the week.

As for titling, the EPA is happy because I am using a COMPLETE drivetrain from an EPA approved car. Federal Crash Safety is happy because I am a motorcycle - 3 wheels. FTC and Customs don't care as I am assembling the ENTIRE vehicle in the US.

The state I lived in wants NO GAMES. I called the inspectors, I met with the inspectors, I told the inspectors HONESTLY what I am doing, and they think I am making a cool project. They told me the stages of construction they want to come back and inspect the vehicle and attach a VIN plate. They want to see complete records of all purchases I make, especially steel and the donor car (wanted me to title the donor car in my name). I will pay sales tax on appropriate items, and their fees.

The state guys are SCARY NASTY if you bull**** them. They are really cool and friendly and helpful if you are completely honest and follow their very good advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to drmiller100 For This Useful Post:
TEiN (01-02-2012)