Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #71 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Frank, Dave, I am trying to think of why I really give a crap about your political opinions of your local power rates.

Relevance?

The Following User Says Thank You to drmiller100 For This Useful Post:
Ryland (01-02-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #72 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Grab a beer and think on it some more.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #73 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Are you making your own doors or are you reusing doors from another vehicle? doors with windows that roll up and down have always seemed like a big challenge for the home built vehicle.
I also wonder how you are titling this vehicle, you said you had that figured out but didn't say any more on the topic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
drmiller100 (01-02-2012)
Old 01-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #74 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
Are you making your own doors or are you reusing doors from another vehicle? doors with windows that roll up and down have always seemed like a big challenge for the home built vehicle.
I also wonder how you are titling this vehicle, you said you had that figured out but didn't say any more on the topic.

Ryland, thank you for a voice of interest in MY Project.

Today I bent up the "main" rollbar hoop. It certainly makes things interesting.

I also mocked up a couple of longtitudinal bars - The car keeps getting taller and taller. I am using 1.5 inch DOM tubing as that is the die I have for my Mandrel Bender. I had "enough" height, then I put a 1.5 roll bar in, and now I want more. Keep in mind - I'm a BIG guy - 73 inches tall, and a svelte 275 or so.

I am using donor doors off of a car. The doors I am using include "free" windows which roll up and down and door latches and side impact protection. As you hinted, there is a LOT of work in making windows roll up and down.

I will tell you what they are when I get to the point I am comfortable putting pics up - hopefully later in the week.

As for titling, the EPA is happy because I am using a COMPLETE drivetrain from an EPA approved car. Federal Crash Safety is happy because I am a motorcycle - 3 wheels. FTC and Customs don't care as I am assembling the ENTIRE vehicle in the US.

The state I lived in wants NO GAMES. I called the inspectors, I met with the inspectors, I told the inspectors HONESTLY what I am doing, and they think I am making a cool project. They told me the stages of construction they want to come back and inspect the vehicle and attach a VIN plate. They want to see complete records of all purchases I make, especially steel and the donor car (wanted me to title the donor car in my name). I will pay sales tax on appropriate items, and their fees.

The state guys are SCARY NASTY if you bull**** them. They are really cool and friendly and helpful if you are completely honest and follow their very good advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to drmiller100 For This Useful Post:
TEiN (01-02-2012)
Old 01-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #75 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
In regulated states like Indiana, electric rates are highly political.

Rapidly escalating electric rates defeat the economics of electric cars.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Old 01-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #76 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
In regulated states like Indiana, electric rates are highly political.

Rapidly escalating electric rates defeat the economics of electric cars.
Dave,

I weigh 274 pounds, or so. I have a large boil on my butt.

I think the boil is caused by improper nutrition.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #77 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller100 View Post
Ryland, thank you for a voice of interest in MY Project.

Today I bent up the "main" rollbar hoop. It certainly makes things interesting.

I also mocked up a couple of longtitudinal bars - The car keeps getting taller and taller. I am using 1.5 inch DOM tubing as that is the die I have for my Mandrel Bender. I had "enough" height, then I put a 1.5 roll bar in, and now I want more. Keep in mind - I'm a BIG guy - 73 inches tall, and a svelte 275 or so.

I am using donor doors off of a car. The doors I am using include "free" windows which roll up and down and door latches and side impact protection. As you hinted, there is a LOT of work in making windows roll up and down.

I will tell you what they are when I get to the point I am comfortable putting pics up - hopefully later in the week.

As for titling, the EPA is happy because I am using a COMPLETE drivetrain from an EPA approved car. Federal Crash Safety is happy because I am a motorcycle - 3 wheels. FTC and Customs don't care as I am assembling the ENTIRE vehicle in the US.

The state I lived in wants NO GAMES. I called the inspectors, I met with the inspectors, I told the inspectors HONESTLY what I am doing, and they think I am making a cool project. They told me the stages of construction they want to come back and inspect the vehicle and attach a VIN plate. They want to see complete records of all purchases I make, especially steel and the donor car (wanted me to title the donor car in my name). I will pay sales tax on appropriate items, and their fees.

The state guys are SCARY NASTY if you bull**** them. They are really cool and friendly and helpful if you are completely honest and follow their very good advice.
Good for you. I'm glad you've found a way to deal with all the regs. I know it can be a real hassle. Sounds like being very direct and straigtforward has paid off.

Not to get too political, but given the discussion I thought folks might get a kick out of this:

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Last edited by Diesel_Dave; 01-03-2012 at 09:46 PM..
Old 01-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #78 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
Change what you eat.

What have you got an attitude about? The case for electric cars is dodgy enough by itself. With the “fuel” becoming 50% more expensive, that dodginess increases.

I do agree. Never lie to bureaucrats. They can be unbelievably vindictive, but being helpful is their path of least resistance.

State laws vary a lot. Indiana is very hot-rodder-friendly. Ecomodders are a subset of hot-rodder. Hot-rodders and bikers are very politically organized in Indiana and the state generally does not go out of its way to bug them.

Indiana allows you nearly unlimited modification of existing vehicles as long as you don’t put an older engine in a newer vehicle. Obviously Idaho is different. I wouldn’t have thought that of Idaho, but it is what it is.

Indiana had an “Inspection and Maintenance” program for cars back in the 1990s but it collapsed under a storm of public outcry. IDEM (the Indiana state EPA) will go through the last of the survivors of that fiasco before they try it again.

It’s gonna be tough to build a halfway comfortable vehicle under 55 inches tall. “Narrow” might be easier than “lower.”
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Old 01-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #79 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dave, I don't care about Indiana. I don't care about your opinions about electric cars. I don't care about your opinions of car height.

Your posts on my thread are annoying.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #80 (permalink)
GRU
Master EcoModder

silver bullet - '00 Honda Civic
90 day: 34.41 mpg (US)
This project is very similar to what i wanted to do with one of my bikes. A cbr 600 f4i and a GSXR 1100. I decided not to go with the project because using a engine bigger than 500 cc will not get me more than 60 mpg even if the vehicle weighs about 1000 lbs.

By the way you talk it doesn't seem like you want input from anyone, but unless you apply the best hypermilling techniques i don't think you will get more than 50mpg with your project

Reply  Post New Thread