View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #77 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller100 View Post
Ryland, thank you for a voice of interest in MY Project.

Today I bent up the "main" rollbar hoop. It certainly makes things interesting.

I also mocked up a couple of longtitudinal bars - The car keeps getting taller and taller. I am using 1.5 inch DOM tubing as that is the die I have for my Mandrel Bender. I had "enough" height, then I put a 1.5 roll bar in, and now I want more. Keep in mind - I'm a BIG guy - 73 inches tall, and a svelte 275 or so.

I am using donor doors off of a car. The doors I am using include "free" windows which roll up and down and door latches and side impact protection. As you hinted, there is a LOT of work in making windows roll up and down.

I will tell you what they are when I get to the point I am comfortable putting pics up - hopefully later in the week.

As for titling, the EPA is happy because I am using a COMPLETE drivetrain from an EPA approved car. Federal Crash Safety is happy because I am a motorcycle - 3 wheels. FTC and Customs don't care as I am assembling the ENTIRE vehicle in the US.

The state I lived in wants NO GAMES. I called the inspectors, I met with the inspectors, I told the inspectors HONESTLY what I am doing, and they think I am making a cool project. They told me the stages of construction they want to come back and inspect the vehicle and attach a VIN plate. They want to see complete records of all purchases I make, especially steel and the donor car (wanted me to title the donor car in my name). I will pay sales tax on appropriate items, and their fees.

The state guys are SCARY NASTY if you bull**** them. They are really cool and friendly and helpful if you are completely honest and follow their very good advice.
Good for you. I'm glad you've found a way to deal with all the regs. I know it can be a real hassle. Sounds like being very direct and straigtforward has paid off.

Not to get too political, but given the discussion I thought folks might get a kick out of this:

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Last edited by Diesel_Dave; 01-03-2012 at 09:46 PM..