View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #29 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Trouble is, less then 10% of the US drivers drive over 100 miles per day but people are worried that their one or two trips a year that are over 100 miles that they are going to be stuck with a car that doesn't have the range when most people have multiple options on what vehicle to drive when they are faced with a long drive.
I'd rather drive my electric car to the train station to go to grandma's house, it's a lower cost per mile and I can sleep or read or do whatever I want in a larger seat with more space to move around and often times get their faster.

There is a solid debate about if we really need fast charging stations or even public charging stations because of how little they would get used, but then again it sounds like a lot of people here have that need to drive 200-300 miles each way and would be doing so either alone or with a car full of people who don't have any other vehicles that could be taken instead.
It's all about using the right tool for the job, if I use my electric car for all of my daily needs and save my gasoline car for hauling stuff, towing a trailer and going to grandmas house then my gasoline car is going to last much longer because it's being used mostly on the highway, it might allow me to get 300,000 or 400,000 miles on my gasoline car, that is if it doesn't rust out in the next 20 years.