View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula413 View Post
Are there known reliability issues with the Super Brain charger?
Yes. I've read more than a couple of accounts of the unit failing. Maybe they're not really designed for the marathon use that analyzing a hybrid battery pack represents - they're really meant for small capacity batteries for remote control vehicle hobbyists.

I gather it's good advice to keep the unit as cool as possible while using it (even an external fan).

Quote:
Are there any other chargers suitable for this task?
I seem to recall the owner of hybrid-battery-repair saying he uses them in his business, and has many of them running simultaneously. He's experienced a few failures but is generally satisfied with them. I'm generally a lazy SOB, so rather than do any further research, I bought what he uses (and Mr Smalls uses, in his battery refurb thread).

Quote:
Also, regarding your point about never recovering the expense of repairing the pack, don't overlook the increased resale value should you ever sell the car.
Absolutely true. I could easily make a handsome profit if I fixed the hybrid battery and sold the car. But that's not in my plans. (I'm good at acquiring junk, not so good at getting rid of junk! )

Quote:
Plus the car is a LOT more fun to drive with electric assist, so there's that to consider as well.
That's the main reason why I'm doing it. I'm looking forward to playing with the hybrid functions, and learning a new set of driving skills & strategies!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget