View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Thanks for considering all this. I estimate it's new territory for just about everyone that reads the article.

I think there's a lot of judgement call involved in determining tire pressure.

The 100 psi was to support the 2-wheeling stunt in the photo, which was done on a closed track. I think it's easy to understand that the tires would hold their shape better at 100 psi. If I recall, they did say they wouldn't recommend that kind of pressure for regular driving. I certainly wouldn't recommend it for regular driving!

My own approach was to use the article's information to get an idea of what levels of pressure can be helpful and safe. Also, you'll likely find your own reasons to limit the psi increase at some point. I found that when I increased it far enough, I didn't like the results any more. So I backed off a bit and that's the pressure I ended up with.

Eventually when increasing pressure, I find the ride gets too hard even for my taste. That's easy to decide of course, and if you hit that point you let some air out. If your significant other is the first one to object, then you get to decide which to let out. (sorry, I couldn't resist)

Also, at very high pressures, handling can get very "light". I don't consider that a good thing. By that, I mean at some point well over the sidewall imprint psi, every tiny twitch of the steering wheel results in an immediate change of direction, because the contact patch has become so small that you really are riding mostly on the center of the tread. However, that's not going to happen at 45 or even at 50 psi, in my experience at least.

Remember that tire pressure will increase about 1 psi for each 10 degree increase in outside temperature. Also it will increase about 4-5 psi from driving. The tire manufacturers are fully aware of the increases due to air temp and driving, so I take any stated pressure specification to mean "cold pressure". So when checking pressure, I do it in the a.m. after the car has sat overnight. Hopefully most mornings have approx the same outdoor air temperature. Measuring that way, you are comparing apples to apples.