View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photonfanatic View Post
That is what makes sense to me. And it contradicts the article. IIRC, they say that only the old bias ply tires would "stretch" on the tread contact area itself, and that the newer technology of radials had steel belts inside it that prevented this. If that were true, then you wouldn't get any of the effects that you just described when overinflating tires. Except perhaps a reduction in ride quality.
For the last 15000 miles my old baldies have been up at 53-60psi (sidewall the usual 44). For my tame driving style, they are fine. The ride is rougher. The wear does not show any great unevenness that I can discern, though I have to say these tires were spent when I started over-inflating. I get noticeable rolling resistance benefits in familiar places that I used to coast through. For years before I found EM, I used to coast the last big downhill before work, use it for speed up the last uphill, hold at 35mph until a specific spot ahead of my right turn onto campus. Doing that nearly always allowed me to drift into the entrance road at 5-10 mph. When I do that now I enter at 15-20 mph (so I have reduced my approach speed/throttle, saving gas up that hill).
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.