View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I was thinking about buying another Insight, but after reading about the battery issues and having my own battery replaced under warranty, I'm not sure if it is a good long term proposition.
One thing you might consider.
Since the Honda's are known to have problems, apparently due to a combination of the series configuration and heat dissipation, maybe it would be a good idea to consider your whole pack as one very long battery.
Record the strength of each 6 cell stick and graph it as a straight line.
Then look at the line and consider rearranging the sticks in the pack to put the weakest cells where the strongest were, then the strongest where the weakest were.
Kind of like rotating tires to even out wear patterns, but this might actually make any repair last considerably longer since the weakest stick is going to be your future problem.
A tactical graph of all of the individual sticks should show you where the sticks tend to suffer the most and where they suffer the least. Reversing the arrangement should help them to stay fairly balanced much longer than putting the weakest stick where it was before and subjecting it to the same conditions as before.
Might even become a maintenance procedure, where every XXXX numbers of miles you rotate the sticks to the best and worst locations in the pack assembly.
Weakest stick best location, strongest stick worst location.
Might be worth a try.

regards
Mech