View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #5443 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Don't think that everything's finalized on my end! haha. Programming changes are the easiest thing in the world. I just hate confusing names. About once every 3 days someone emails me asking what everything means, and how to use it, and etc... What's the usage... It would be nice for it to be as simple and clean as possible on just a standard serial display, as well as with RTD explorer. lots of people who email me just want to use a basic text display like Realterm. I always send them a help file, but then when they are actually using it, they forget.

Right now the names are things like

c-rr 4
throttle-min-rc 342
throttle-max-rc 876
pc-time 45
save

it would be nice for it to be

current-ramp-rate 4
full-throttle 342
zero-throttle 876
precharge-time 45
save

Here's an example of the help:
help precharge-time

precharge-time is how long you want for the capacitors to charge through the precharge resistor.
Ex: precharge-time 57
Note: The time is in tenths of a second.

Also, if you hit enter, it would be nice if the config variable names are displayed in exactly the same way that you type them. Not c-rr for the command and current_ramp_rate for config. I never remember the "config" command to see the variables.

All the help text used about 15% of the space on the atmega168, so it's up to about 70% full. The text was saved in the program space rather than the data space. I bet the bootloader would have to change in order to use the 328 instead.

If everyone used RTD-Exporer it would be helpful, but it would be nice if the serial display on its own was more user friendly.