View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mans View Post
when u are trying to lower your electrical load so you can run without an alternator then 24w total draw instead of 110w draw from your headlamps is a major accomplishment. (alternator delete= 8-10% increase in mileage)

converting a car to ALL led's is the first step. ...
That's all well and good, seemingly good logic on its own.
Please see the post by mcrews further back, here. The real deal is very well stated there.

Headlamps, both bulbs and reflectors, is no hack science. Those things are designed and manufactured to tolerances you can't even think about measuring without lab equipment, and I don't mean a ruler or caliper. Let alone statements that "it will fit" and "it should put out enough light". Yikes. All those high tech efforts are done for good reasons - so you can see, and so the other guys ahead of you ALSO can see.

I've seen some halogen bulbs (by Sylvania??) that claim to use somewhat less current - now there's an idea!! There ARE aftermarket halogen bulbs that will increase headlamp brightness, often legal in Europe but generally not in the US. Then there are HID assemblies, complete with optical system. But I'm convinced that many of the less expensive HIDs have sloppy optical systems that spray lots of light where it doesn't belong. I see them on the road every day. I'm so glad those drivers get a nice strong blue-white light while ignoring the needs of other drivers on the same road. Oh yes, I get that nice strong light too - right in my eyeballs.

Would you decide to decrease weight and rolling resistance by running on four spare tire donuts? Many of those are rated for 65 psi and thereabouts - think of the savings!

How about the weight savings you can achieve by removing the safety glass and substituting Lexan? Big savings there. Sorry, it's not as clear as glass and makes nasty sharp daggers when broken in an accident. Nobody will mind, I'm sure. Remove the spare tire and jack and wrench, and don't bother carry a weighty can of Fix-A-Flat either. Just call AAA if you get a flat. Remove the fuel tank, it's metal and quite heavy, just substitute a fuel cell from the racing universe. What, it won't hold enough fuel to do normal driving?? The weight savings of all the above will get you enough mpg so you won't have to worry about how far the fuel cell will take you, it will be much further than you would think.

The Following User Says Thank You to brucepick For This Useful Post:
mcrews (01-17-2012)