View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 03:29 AM   #5446 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Controller destruction photos:
ALL of the Transient voltage supression diodes had failed shorted. No picking on me with the soldering. This stupid board had some parts assembled and dissassembled like 4 friggen times.:

gate and source legs blown off of ALL the mosfets. Most drain legs still there. Probably because the leg is attached to the copper back of the mosfet:

The diodes are friggen gangster.:

2 capacitors had ONE of their pads vaporised. But the capacitor was still good. Don't ask me how that happened. haha:

I think the TVS diodes failed because the gate signal was too noisy, so the TVS diodes had to conduct too much and overheated and failed and maybe caused the mosfets to fail. I have no idea really, but why on earth would all the TVS diodes fail short circuited? If the source was moving at all relative to gate, the TVS diode could have conducted forward too, and that could have really overheated things.

Hey! I just read a paper on diode failure analysis:

1. Small-step cross-sectioning technique in combination with electrical probing, light emission microscopy, liquid crystal technique, and chemical staining was successfully used to reveal damage in the failed metallurgically bonded diodes.
2. In all cases damage to the diodes was caused by local overheating above the melting temperature of silicon.

They also studied TVS diode failure specifically. They overheated and failed short circuit. I guess that gate signal needs to get cleaned up. haha. Hopefully the new driver board works well for that. If not, it's off to "High Side Driver". Hey! My ex-brother in law was often a high side driver. Well, whenever he drove, he was high.