View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #27 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucey View Post
So is the Diesel Conversion on your S10 not going to happen ?
No, I'm still planning on doing that. It's just been the big project on my "too many projects" list for a pretty good while.

If I did do an EMIS-style hybrid, I would do it with that truck with the Mercedes 2.4l diesel engine. With the manual transmission, I could do an "EV ONLY" mode with an electric motor on the back and power from the batteries, charged from the wall.

I'd need to do a power brakes setup similar to what I already did in my EV Metro, and I'd have to do something about the power steering in the truck.

Come to think of it. That setup would also create the "Ultimate Starter" as I could "bump-start" the transmission with the series-wound motor.

Another dumb question. I thought I heard that diesels don't create vacuum the same way that gasoline engines do, so if you swapped out a gas engine for a diesel, you'd have to account for vacuum for power brakes and the likes. If you had to do that anyways, why not convert to electric so that you could have a diesel-electric hybrid with working brakes, whether or not the engine was on? (Do I have that right at all?)

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos