View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnClark View Post
Except for the fact that EGR and PCV offset pumping losses to a large degree. A colder air intake with a more closed throttle plate will increase EGR flow thus leading to more trapped mass in the cylinder which in turn reduces heat lost to the cooling system and allows more energy to be extracted from the power stroke. Also as mentioned before a cooler intake charge also reduces energy lost to the cooling system.

If you want more proof, cooled EGR bumps mileage compared to non cooled EGR.
Was that last line supposed to have a link? I'd like to see it, if so. And just as an FYI for readers who might not know, not all cars have EGR. Mine does not. What this all demonstrates is the need to know your car and test for results whenever there is substantial reason for doubt about a mod.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.