View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
BurningDinosaurBones
EcoModding Lurker

The Burner - '93 Volkswagen Golf TD GL
90 day: 42.13 mpg (US)
I was thinking about my history working in industry. It's fairly simple if you want to determine a flow to just call the instrumentation department and get them to install a flow meter on a (fuel) line, then use the output against other variables to calculate whatever you want with it. It would be nice if there were a flow meter available for our cars, then you could just grab the output and plug into the mpguino, if that's possible? I know next to nothing about mpguino. But I was looking at the injectors the other day and each injector seems to have a return line coming out of it, meaning some of the flow going into the injectors may get returned to the fuel pump. So in that case you would need to have two flow meters, one for the flow to the injectors, and one for the flow out, subtract the signals from each other and use that as your fuel flow. Easy right. But I am brand new to diesels so maybe one line is for idling and the other is for acceleration? Who knows? Who can point us to this theoretical flow meter?

All of this manual calibration sounds like a whole lot of work to me. The ease of just plug and go of the scan gauge to the 96+ vehicles is more my style.

To me it seems easier to make a fuel cell like they use for fuel efficiency testing on myth busters. Weigh the cell before you leave, then weigh it after. Calculate your MPG. Test a route driven with different driving styles, compare results. There are only a few situations that I am curious about and this would seam like a good way of testing them. Once you figure out how to drive with the least fuel use on each route, drive accordingly in the future knowing that you are at maximum efficiency.