View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 02:23 AM   #31 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula413
Not to threadjack but if you are running a warmer thermostat you would probably be well advised to add a transmission cooler
Apologies here for being off-topic, but yeah, the cooler is something I should look into. The synthetic fluid is merely a hopeful measure to prevent heat-related damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympiadis View Post
Perhaps you should start your own forum where instead of modification and testing, you have a policy of non-tampering, and instead encourage folks to not mess with their vehicles and just take them in for dealer service to restore them back to factory spec.
Imagine how happy you would be then.

You could remain in a world where your members goals were exactly the same as your goals, instead of this horrific world where people are happy doing things differently.

First off you should be embarrassed for being such a know-it-all and bringing such negativity to a forum that should be friendly to posting individuals modifications and results. You have more info to add that might be helpful? fine. I'm sure no one minds that at all.

Second, you give advice in what seems like absolute commands. For instance saying that using a catch-can is bad, period. Perhaps you should offer to fund the engine rebuilds for those who read your post so that what you suggest isn't advocating false economy. If you take an extra minute to imagine, the production of engine replacement parts, engine tear-down and rebuilding, and the acquirement of the funds to do so is about infinitely worse for the environment than filtering out a small amount of contaminants from a PCV line. This is not to mention the fact that not everyone is obsessed with emissions levels and may only be interested in economy, convenience, efficiency, or reliability.

I really didn't want this to be so personal, but this kind of routine is getting very old. Seriously. It is very discouraging.
People posting there exploits here may not be 100% correct about everything every time, but I don't think verbally beating them down is much of a help.

You will no doubt try to defend or counter now. Personally I have no interest whatsoever. Have at it.
As a Moderator, yet participant in this discussion, I have to expand upon mwebb's and Olympiadis' comments. Whether or not I agree with Olympiadis' statements, the purpose of the forum is to freely exchange information using courtesy, and posts not be a catalyst for a shouting match. In this case, I simply ask mwebb to utilize more information and respect in discussions.

In response to the content, my project car is a '98 model that is way out of the league of even LEV, let alone SULEV. With it's simple design, I can't imagine (without significant information) that the mod is detrimental in any way. I see contaminants collected, and remove them. What more?

Without sparking a runaway back-and-forth argument, I challenge mwebb or any other person in disagreement to the "catch can", to respectfully cite specific examples of lost FE, increased emissions, and/or data from your own experiments. Simply stating that it "doesn't work", will not cut it here. Users here should know that we need clean data in opposition before your comments are taken seriously. As it stands now, you are in the "Control Group" with unmodified vehicles, and your comments (thus far) are ambiguous and lack validity.

RH77

_
_