View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #43 (permalink)
suspectnumber961
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Based on my reading, I don't think we're very near a catastrophic event, but again, food for thought.
Complex systems such as the biosphere and our current world-wide economic system can fail catastrophically. The economic system failed in 2008...and some think we are vulnerable to the next failure now.

Same thing with the biosphere and it's possible tipping points...

Even if there is no extreme failure...the list of damages done already and gradually is LONG....both to the biosphere and the world economy.

Those who look at the "geological" record and say big changes have happened in the past...so it doesn't matter are as I say..."weiny-heads". Doesn't matter of course if you are suicidal?

Or is it that they think humans are just magically going to sidestep the disaster? Maybe they don't realize the fragility of the "technological firewall" they live behind?

Here is an example of what happens when the stuff really hits the fan? Enjoy....

http://www.tacticalintelligence.net/blo ... ccount.htm

The original thread, found on the Survivalist Boards, features one man’s (name Selco) first-hand account of living in a SHTF situation with his family during the Bosnia collapse of 1992. Many of the forum members peppered Selco with questions which he was graciously willing to answer. This is a compilation of those questions and answers.

In this compendium, Selco describes what it was like living in a city for a year without power, fuel, running water, food distribution or any semblance of traditional commerce. Their currency was useless, there were no police forces or government, and the streets were ruled by gangs and violence. The survival strategies that he, his family, and community used to stay alive are eye-opening and may change some of the priorities that you have when it comes to preparing for a SHTF scenario where you live. Although it’s long read, I highly recommend it given the wealth of knowledge taken from someone who’s lived it.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL