Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,525 Times in 1,561 Posts
Food for thought:

Anoxic event - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
At even a few degrees warmer, rain forests are extremely vulnerable to fire hazards. These forests have little natural resistance to fires,[6] and some conjecture a critical tipping point. Practically overnight the increase of temperature might have been reached and triggered a huge burn-off[6] of planetary forests. This would have released unprecedented amounts of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. With a change of mean temperatures of three degrees Celsius, the ice caps melted. This triggered a runaway effect. In the super-greenhouse ecologies—the term meaning average temperature rose to or beyond six degrees above today—the seas were so warm, it is believed the water temperatures at the two poles[7] were in the lower 80s°F (i.e. above 27 °C).[3] The Cretaceous and Jurassic periods' world ecologies were essentially ice free,[3] had massive storms driven by warm oceans, and were dying from the double hit[3] of lack of oxygen and toxic hydrogen sulfide accumulations at lower layers because of a shut down in the ocean conveyor belts.[3] In this time, most of the world would experience the highly noxious scent of rotten eggs and the seas would have slowly acquired a deep green hue from the high amounts of algae.
And: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40316649.../#.Tx3Cu28S29U

Quote:
Gas locked inside Siberia's frozen soil and under its lakes has been seeping out since the end of the last ice age 10,000 years ago. But in the past few decades, as the Earth has warmed, the icy ground has begun thawing more rapidly, accelerating at a perilous rate the release of methane, a greenhouse gas 23 times more powerful than carbon dioxide.
Based on my reading, I don't think we're very near a catastrophic event, but again, food for thought.

Last edited by Ecky; 01-23-2012 at 03:30 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
The strife with Iran is raising the price of oil, and we'll have to see how this proceeds.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 01-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Based on my reading, I don't think we're very near a catastrophic event, but again, food for thought.
Complex systems such as the biosphere and our current world-wide economic system can fail catastrophically. The economic system failed in 2008...and some think we are vulnerable to the next failure now.

Same thing with the biosphere and it's possible tipping points...

Even if there is no extreme failure...the list of damages done already and gradually is LONG....both to the biosphere and the world economy.

Those who look at the "geological" record and say big changes have happened in the past...so it doesn't matter are as I say..."weiny-heads". Doesn't matter of course if you are suicidal?

Or is it that they think humans are just magically going to sidestep the disaster? Maybe they don't realize the fragility of the "technological firewall" they live behind?

Here is an example of what happens when the stuff really hits the fan? Enjoy....

http://www.tacticalintelligence.net/blo ... ccount.htm

The original thread, found on the Survivalist Boards, features one man’s (name Selco) first-hand account of living in a SHTF situation with his family during the Bosnia collapse of 1992. Many of the forum members peppered Selco with questions which he was graciously willing to answer. This is a compilation of those questions and answers.

In this compendium, Selco describes what it was like living in a city for a year without power, fuel, running water, food distribution or any semblance of traditional commerce. Their currency was useless, there were no police forces or government, and the streets were ruled by gangs and violence. The survival strategies that he, his family, and community used to stay alive are eye-opening and may change some of the priorities that you have when it comes to preparing for a SHTF scenario where you live. Although it’s long read, I highly recommend it given the wealth of knowledge taken from someone who’s lived it.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL
Old 01-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I'll just sell ammunition. Or trade it for gas. Or use it to take gas. The wife is a food hoarder. I have a few thousand rounds.

regards
Mech
Old 01-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #45 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'll make ethanol.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #46 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Slice - '12 Mazda 3 GS-Sky
90 day: 39.75 mpg (US)

Big Red - '09 Honda Silver Wing 600
90 day: 51.44 mpg (US)

5SPD5 II - '09 Mazda 5 GS
90 day: 29.85 mpg (US)
Sheesh, gas has been over $4 a gallon here for the past 12 months. lol.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #47 (permalink)

RutRoh......

Arctic scientist warns of dangerous climate change | Australian University News & Information Service

Professor Duarte said the Arctic region contained arguably the greatest concentration of potential tipping elements for global climate change.

"If set in motion, they can generate profound climate change which places the Arctic not at the periphery but at the core of the Earth system," Professor Duarte said. "There is evidence that these forces are starting to be set in motion."

"This has major consequences for the future of human kind as climate change progresses."

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL
Old 02-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #48 (permalink)
oldschool

White2003Focus - '03 Ford Focus SE 4-door sedan
Team Ford
90 day: 38.53 mpg (US)

White2001S10pickup - '01 Chevy S10 extended cab LR
Last 3: 24.51 mpg (US)

1989DodgeOMNI - '89 Dodge Omni
Last 3: 30.38 mpg (US)

1991ChevyC1500pickup - '91 Chevy C1500
Last 3: 24.03 mpg (US)

White1986Irocz - '86 Chevy Irocz LB9
Last 3: 30.14 mpg (US)

1999 C5 Corvette - '99 Chevy Corvette

2008 Infinity G37 - '08 Infinity G37
Good.
Maybe once it happens the media will run out of global catastrophes to sensationalize.
I seriously doubt it but we can hope.

Personally I'd rather see real science published and widely publicized, but the reality is that is not what makes the money.

It's saddening to see people feeding into this cycle.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
Again, all it takes is one volcanic blast or meteor impact to reverse all of this warming (which might be a natural trend anyway) and send us back into the next ice age.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't have an impact on humanity, but the strong will survive. And if none of us are strong enough, something will eventually replace us.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #50 (permalink)

IF anything happens that is faster than paint drying...you won't hear the end of it?

IF things happen slow enough that "they" can forget it actually happened...then things will remain the same at least...on the surface.

We're probably moving from the second scenario to the first....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympiadis View Post
Good.
Maybe once it happens the media will run out of global catastrophes to sensationalize.
I seriously doubt it but we can hope.

Reply  Post New Thread