View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
81rabbitdiesel
EcoModding Lurker

DaRabbit - '81 Volkswagen Rabbit LS
90 day: 60.03 mpg (US)
Hi Guys Old Diesel rabbit driver here

Hi Guys,

My name is Don,

I got this car back in June and Love driving it, it is easy to see out of because of all the glass and the MPGs are great. but not great enough : ) i have been reading about hypermiling and have been reading this sight since befor i bought the car.

I got the car because it was rated high on Fuely.com I live in a small fixed income so the better mpgs i get the more i can spend on other stuff that we need.

the car is an 81 vw rabbit LS diesel 4 door with 5 speed tranny. 1.6 na. it also has good working AC that i seldom ever use but since it works i hate to tear it out for the weight loss. I have put about 4k miles on it since i got it and am averaging about 47mpgs. It has new 13 inch tires and i have at 50 psi.

Im starting to do the puls and glide in the car and doing the Key off since it doesnt have power brakes or anything it doesnt scare me to much on the back roads. I am hoping to learn to get 50 or 60 mpgs The more the better.

I took out the back seat for weight loss but thats about all i have done to the car other than try to drive as frugal as i can. I was thinking about trying to run used cooking oil to lower my driving costs more but its really hard to find : ( My best mpg in the car was 56 mpgs and that was almost all hwy driving are 50 to 55 mph.

I love this site, thanks to all of you who have posted so much helpfull info.

Thanks for reading, Don