View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
No, I haven't heard of that one at all before.

It does seem like there's a lot of "no-name" NEVs out there right now. I have a feeling that they are mass-produced in China, and then get whoever's brand name slapped on them at the end.

In many places right now (seems like everywhere but near me) there's tax incentives that help with the price on electric vehicles, including EVs.

I guess I wouldn't want to mail order anything, but if you can look at a vehicle in person, you might notice some stock items on it. I've noticed many EVs using Curtis controllers and Delta-Q chargers for example. You might not be able to get much customer support from the vehicle manufacturer, but those parts are popular and easy to replace/upgrade/find info on.

I would NOT expect ANY manufacturer support on a "no-name" NEV, but if the price is right, the vehicle might be worth it, as long as you are handy and aren't afraid of figuring out a few things yourself when you need to.

I've never been a fan of NEVs because of the politics/stupid laws around them. For me, a "standard" car converted to electric made sense, allowing me to drive on whatever road I want. That's not an issue if you have no restrictions on NEVs in your area, or live in a neighborhood where they work for you.

I've also noticed that many NEVs have very flimsy-feeling doors and bodies to them. My Metro feels like a tank compared to a Zap Zebra.

Come to think of it, a Citicar might actually be a good vehicle for you. They are older era - 70's to early 80's, but there are always a few out there for sale. They actually have a REALLY good following and user/owner group, so they are a lot better for support than you think, even the the manufacturer has been gone for three decades. (Aluminum frame and plastic body, only thing to worry about is brakes!)

They are basically an NEV, but without the NEV ordinance issues.

Sorry, I know that NONE of that was specific to the vehicle you asked about, but I hope it helps.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos