View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
88FieroGT
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Electric motors have efficiency curves like ICE's do; and if the vehicle has wide enough variations in environmental demands placed on it (low neighborhood speeds AND turnpike speeds; steep hills and flats; empty and heavy loads) an EV with gears has a definite leg up.

As far as "regular" transmissions being too weak, well, that was just a poor choice of transmissions on the part of the builder(s). If people build 1000 hp street machines with transmissions, you can sure build an EV with one.

As far as the Fiero, you can expect 90+% efficiency with a stock a/t and, oh, 94+% efficiency with an m/t. ICE>generator>motor would certainly be far worse.
things have calmed down for the moment so I have time , especially since its dark out. I cant go outside and get things done and etc...

I have decided to just go the route of a full ICE setup , 1-2L displacement because I can get enough N/A power out of that sized displacement and gear towards what I need for what I want. While keeping the reduced weight im looking for.

170+ HP from 1L minimum, but peaky and narrow powerband so not much down low but quick revving if geared enough to not struggle to make up for it. tuned where peak power occurs at a healthy and reliable mean piston speed. I dont know what efficiency would end up being with this because I would still be able to cruise with low HP but in lower rpms with an engine which favors higher rpm.

came concept as formula one to where it should perform well still?