View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #22 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
'64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
How is this different from driving on three wheels in a lowrider '64 Impala?

I wonder if these brushes would work for wheel strakes, or if their inherently turbulence-happy surfaces would negate any gains.
The '64 makes a great spark generator! While commuting home from Dallas I was overtaken by a low-rider Impala.Three young occupants had their gold teeth displayed until a front 'fat-out' ate the wheel bearings,separated,and passed the car,which then put out quite a fireworks display.The wide smiles turned to wide eyes.Not cool at all.
As far as the brushes,no one has stepped up with any data on such a thing.
The only thing I can relate it to is the PBS NOVA program entitled 'Raptor Force.'
They had a rear-facing Critter-Cam attached to the top of a peregrine(pair o'
grins) falcon and you could see how the downy feathers were dampening turbulence.I think the peregrine has now been reported at velocities as high as 280 mph in full stoop.They are an inspiration for the Template.
They mentioned that this helps owls to be so stealthy.Their prey never hear a thing!
I'm gonna try 'em.
The forward-looking radar-ranging,solenoid actuated articulated strakes will have to wait until I acquire the electronic skills of 'Doc' on 'Back to the Future.'