Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I would want a hidden camera and microphone.
Many years ago on a CHIPS episode,the star CHP officers pulled a Frenchman over who was going down the freeway in a Citroen DS19 on 3-wheels! The Chippies were flabergasted and couldn't convince the motorist that it was a 'problem'.The Parisian kept insisting that it was "No problem."Very funny!
How is this different from driving on three wheels in a lowrider '64 Impala?

I wonder if these brushes would work for wheel strakes, or if their inherently turbulence-happy surfaces would negate any gains.

Last edited by Sven7; 01-27-2012 at 08:02 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
'64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
How is this different from driving on three wheels in a lowrider '64 Impala?

I wonder if these brushes would work for wheel strakes, or if their inherently turbulence-happy surfaces would negate any gains.
The '64 makes a great spark generator! While commuting home from Dallas I was overtaken by a low-rider Impala.Three young occupants had their gold teeth displayed until a front 'fat-out' ate the wheel bearings,separated,and passed the car,which then put out quite a fireworks display.The wide smiles turned to wide eyes.Not cool at all.
As far as the brushes,no one has stepped up with any data on such a thing.
The only thing I can relate it to is the PBS NOVA program entitled 'Raptor Force.'
They had a rear-facing Critter-Cam attached to the top of a peregrine(pair o'
grins) falcon and you could see how the downy feathers were dampening turbulence.I think the peregrine has now been reported at velocities as high as 280 mph in full stoop.They are an inspiration for the Template.
They mentioned that this helps owls to be so stealthy.Their prey never hear a thing!
I'm gonna try 'em.
The forward-looking radar-ranging,solenoid actuated articulated strakes will have to wait until I acquire the electronic skills of 'Doc' on 'Back to the Future.'
Old 01-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
Grand Imperial Poobah

We were playing with these two years ago for ground effects closures:

Felton Auto - Types of Brushes -
The Following User Says Thank You to Shepherd777 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-30-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
They had a rear-facing Critter-Cam attached to the top of a peregrine(pair o'
grins) falcon and you could see how the downy feathers were dampening turbulence.I think the peregrine has now been reported at velocities as high as 280 mph in full stoop.They are an inspiration for the Template.
They mentioned that this helps owls to be so stealthy.Their prey never hear a thing!
I'm gonna try 'em.
I see one big difference: The falcon's feathers point lengthwise while broom bristles would face crosswise. When the air is going across the bristles instead of with them, I imagine it would make a lot more drag, and therefore noise. It would be interesting to see a kind of feather inspired mechanism, though. A lengthwise one. (Or maybe both, and compare them)
Old 01-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
I see one big difference: The falcon's feathers point lengthwise while broom bristles would face crosswise. When the air is going across the bristles instead of with them, I imagine it would make a lot more drag, and therefore noise. It would be interesting to see a kind of feather inspired mechanism, though. A lengthwise one. (Or maybe both, and compare them)
Yes,the approach,breakover,and departure angles limit our ability to run the bristles longitudinally,'cause they're just going to be snapped off if suspended from below these no-man's land.
A 45-degree canting,projecting rearwards would be my compromise.If they strike,they'll just deform and scrub and rebound once past the obstacle.
I have no idea if they'll modify the flow at all.
I do know that the wheels are responsible for significant drag so they're worth messin' around with.
In my perfect world,I'd have hinged fairings which fire to a stowed position when a forward-looking ranging device detected proximity to an approaching hazard,then re-deploying once past the danger.They'd go all the way within a fraction of a millimeter of the road,shunting all the air around the tires,then boat-tailing to kill any would-be turbulence behind.
Pre-preg carbon-fiber fairings would be the easy part.The acoustic or radio ranging part would have to be left to a certain radio-head I know.
In daylight,one could just manually hit a solenoid switch on the shift-lever or some other ergonomic location.
After dark,or in inclement weather,you'd want an electronic eye minding the store.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #26 (permalink)
oldschool

White2003Focus - '03 Ford Focus SE 4-door sedan
Team Ford
90 day: 38.53 mpg (US)

White2001S10pickup - '01 Chevy S10 extended cab LR
Last 3: 24.51 mpg (US)

1989DodgeOMNI - '89 Dodge Omni
Last 3: 30.38 mpg (US)

1991ChevyC1500pickup - '91 Chevy C1500
Last 3: 24.03 mpg (US)

White1986Irocz - '86 Chevy Irocz LB9
Last 3: 30.14 mpg (US)

1999 C5 Corvette - '99 Chevy Corvette

2008 Infinity G37 - '08 Infinity G37
I liked the idea of using stiff brushes. I have been around them in many different uses in machining, and other mechanicals in my mil career, but it really didn't occur to me to try using them.
I looked into it further and the company pointed me to a couple of different places. I don't know about the pricing yet.

Metal Channel Strip Brushes Brush Tables Staple Set Brush Table Modular Brush Table

Door Seals Weatherstripping Brush Door Seals Strip Brush Air Sealing Dock Leveler Seals Wind Stopper Seals

There are lots of options to include curves and flexible brackets.

The Following User Says Thank You to Olympiadis For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-02-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread