View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #22 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
How about a compromise change to "The dirty cost of one man's hypermiling?"
Sounds reasonable to me. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Don't be too hard on him Metro, his concerns may actually lead us to a solution, which is a benefit to all
It's not personal - and as I said, I wasn't objecting to the thesis of the post at all.

Here's my concern: this thread title will be picked up in Google searches, and will be intentionally taken out of context by people who have an axe to grind against the general notion of driving to save fuel and/or modding to save fuel. It will become a source of misinformation fed to people on other sites who object to the entire concept of "hypermiling" and who won't read past the title. It's happened before. That's why I'm sensitive about a title that implies more than it should.

---

I am looking forward to reading about where you decide to go from here, Darrell.

FYI, I gave up using P&G as a routine driving technique a couple of years ago, partly because of the question of emissions which you laid out, partly because I find it tedious on anything but the shortest trips, and partly because it's arguably harder on the vehicle mechanically.

It's one reason I jumped at the chance to get the Insight: P&G levels of fuel economy without the calisthenics.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
Cd (01-31-2012), CigaR007 (01-31-2012), dcb (02-01-2012), larrybuck (01-31-2012), mcrews (01-31-2012), Pawtuckett (02-19-2012), user removed (01-31-2012)