View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #402 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroJim View Post
Once the weather warms up in here in cleveland, I'm looking to get started on my boat tail. Your thread has a been a great inspiration for my design.

I'm going to be using a foam/fiberglass sandwich on a metal frame and I have a few questions.

What did you use as a filler to smooth the fiberglass? I read about an epoxy/glass sphere mix and was wondering exactly what that was?

Also, how much do you think a full sized boat tail would cost to do. including foam. fiberglass, body filler, primer, paint, etc.?
The epoxy mix that was used to smooth the foam, was made by mixing glass "micro-balloons" with normal epoxy resin, and stirring for about one minute.

You can get the micro balloons from any epoxy reseller such as U.S. Composites.

As for cost, my base materials were summarized at the beginning of this thread, so please check there.

The summary does not have the paint cost, but high quality automotive primer paint is about $30 a quart, along with the hardener, which is also close to the same cost.

I expect the red paint to be about the same cost when it comes time.

But before painting, some tuft testing is in order to make sure the angles are not too steep.

Jim.