View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #33 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
True, but I always imagine that in 15 or 20 years the old, inefficient designs will have petered out and we will have pre-aeromodded cars all over. That won't happen if design students don't learn about economy. I'm in my last semester at one of the top two automotive design schools in the country and have not heard more than a passing word about aerodynamics.

There was a student who decided he wanted to put giant wind turbines on the car to charge the battery with wind power while driving on the freeway. I'm not going to name names- he's a good guy- but it just kind of shows the lack of instruction in matters not directly relating to drawing, sculpting and aesthetics. The curriculum is lacking.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm very glad you're teaching your students about this and helping to create a grassroots ecomodding aftermarket, but what the world really needs is informed design from the drawing board to the factory.

/rant
Nicely said, but the reform of such curriculum is for others (it's not my field). But what I can tell you is that my January course in the histories and cultures of modding cars yielded plans for a new student club focused on modding and scores of stop-bys at my car. Also, my students handed out dozens of copies of your flier, the flier that started this thread. It was very well received. One person picked it up and obviously impressed said "your students made THIS" (a little incredulous). Hahahaha!! I told her no and that a guy from Detroit on ecomodder.com made it. Thanks again...
james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.