View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 06:15 AM   #29 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
I believe there is blame enough to go around. Part is the automakers themselves, but, I believe the majority of the blame still falls on the feds with their excess regulation, just as they do in every other area of our lives to muck things up.
There is an assumption in the second part of this that little or no regulation exists in the rest of the world - not so. Emissions regs, safety regs and so on exist all over the world - some are less strict than the US and some more.

With the exception of some vehicles (e.g. Tata Nano) most car makers try and make their vehicles suitable for all markets otherwise they end up having to spend money on modifications - e.g. as FIAT did to get the 500 into the US which was probably not considered when they designed it, unlike the BINI which was always destined for the US, India, EMEA and Far East - i.e. the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320touring View Post
...As an aside- could you LPG the Prius?
As it uses less fuel the payback period will be much longer though, maybe you could get Excel out ? I think you also qualify for "alternative fuel vehicle" road fund tax which is £20 ?