View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #31 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathtrain View Post
yes that sounds correct but what does it do when you plug everything in and remove that 7.5a fuse No. 15?
I did that once. There are several components effected by that fuse, not just the alternator. That's not a solution. I have it wired now and working but I'm not sure I like it.

I unplugged the charging system light at a connector close to the fire wall. But the yel/blk wire could not be disconnected anywhere other than at the 4P connector plugged into the alt itself. Disconnection anywhere further up the line toward the fuse box also effected other systems. I cut into the line at the 4P, and put my switch onto that line.

I went for a test drive.

The alt can be powered up with a flick of the switch. Once I had turned it on, if I turned it off again it did not power down immediately. When I shut down and bump started the engine the alt would be off. So it works for EOC.

Question: the two wires linking the alt to the ECU are of course still plugged-in and what effect might they have. The ECU should be sending commands to the alt to fire up, but the alt can't, and the signal back to the ECU will therefore report nothing back the ECU instead of a signal about increased power generation. What side effects can such a scenario have?

I do a 150 mile drive tomorrow to meet up with a friend and his Geo Metro and head to a junkyard. So, if I don't have to leave my car at the junkyard, the drive should be an opportunity to test the alt kill switch more completely.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.