View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #33 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
... Once I had turned it on, if I turned it off again it did not power down immediately. When I shut down and bump started the engine the alt would be off...
If you do as above - turn off the alt via switch(es) after it was running - and wait for some seconds, does it stop charging?? Or does it only stop charging if you kill the engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
... Do I really need four switches? Is there a switch I could use that could cut all four at once?

james
James,

Based on your recent posts indicating you probably only need to cut two wires, you can do that with a DPST switch. Double Pole, Single Throw. It controls two wires with one flip lever or button. Wikipedia article section on switch types

If you needed to do the same for 3 or maybe even four wires, there are triple pole single throw TPST and probably even QPST switches (quad).

I'm very eager to find out the results of your planned additional testing tomorrow. Keep that battery charged up! I hope to do some testing in the driveway tomorrow too, but I have at least one project for my good wife. Probably more than one...

At the junkyard, try get a spare alt connector. I think the Accords use the same one, but it's right up front on the driver's side where you can get it very easily. Then you can splice your wires to it and plug it into your alt. Switches can go in between.

Last edited by brucepick; 02-03-2012 at 09:43 PM..