View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #37 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnClark View Post
(Bump)

Any updates?
Yes, two sets of figures. We tested a colleague's 1992 Corolla, taking it just as it was. We drove it for a baseline fuel economy (got 30.09 mpg mostly highway).

Then we slapped several mods on it and did a coast down test: pumped up tires to 50psi, grill block, huge air dam, wheel skirts. All cardboard, duct tape, and blue painter's tape. She was ugly!

To test these mods we had to use the less-than-scientific hill because of time constraints. We did three runs without mods and then three with mods on a one mile course, recording speeds at two points down the hill. First we recorded peak speed and then we recorded residual coasting speeds at a marked point along a flat straight-away. The mods yielded +4.1% top speed reached and a +9.1% in final coasting speed retained. The students were amazed. I was very clear with them about the limits of our method, and that the results could not be regarded as "scientific" even though methodically reached.

After the coasting test, we did another MPG test. But we first added to the equation several hypermiling techniques on-top of these mods: weight reduction (taking two students out of the car), driving a slower freeway speed (55mph instead of 60), and mild EOC hypermiling in the city routes leading to the freeway. The new MPG rating, baring pump error--an issue I taught the students about--was 45.26 mpg.

All of this was methodical though clearly not "scientific" and I made them aware of the difference.

Broadly, what they learned was that using a variety of techniques and mods, you could possibly improve your MPG by 50% virtually overnight.

They're forming a student club to pursue the issues, histories, and techniques more than a mere three week course allows...

It was fun. Thanks for your input.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 02-03-2012 at 10:12 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
cfg83 (02-04-2012), kurzer (02-04-2012), PaleMelanesian (02-06-2012)