View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
COcyclist
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
The most I have been able to get out of this car on a trip (while trying to conserve fuel) was a legitimate 46mpg. Lowest I have got on a state-highway trip was 40mpg - 3 people, luggage and there was pulling some hills at 4000RPM.

I'm not sure if this car isn't aerodynamic of if running 2500 down the highway is hurting it but it doesn't get near as good of mileage on the highway going with traffic. I made a trip to Buffalo (I'm in Syracuse NY) a few months ago, on I90 with speeds ... higher than they probably should have been ... and the mileage was only 36 round trip.

Lately I have been averaging around 30 on my commute to and from work and after work errands - but I live in the city and have snow tires on. The longest trip I make is 5 miles to work.
Do you have a manual tranny? Trip computer? A ScanGuage can help you with your hypermiling. Unfortunately, I would say you are doing pretty well. As you have noticed, high speeds and cold starts kill fuel economy. Your car has pretty good aerodynamics. There are things you can do to make it better but it won't look like stock if you do some of the ones with the biggest benefit. That said, grill blocks, folded mirrors and a belly pan can be almost unnoticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.