View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,392 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by merccom View Post
i use to own a shop and i can tell you right now that one of the reasons that it's so hard to find an honest shop is because they normally go out of business.
True of any business I suppose, although I don't believe it is often the difference between staying in business or closing shop. Usually lying/cheating/stealing is the difference between making a little money, and making money hand over fist (thinking of Lehman Bros, Goldman Sachs, S&P, etc).

Quote:
you can spend 3 or 4 hours diagnoseing what exactly went wrong and it will be something like a bad injector that shorted out the wireing harness so you you charge the customer for an injector an a half hour labor for and then they refuse to pay for the diagnostic or at the very least raise all hell about it.

so then you've spent almost an entire day on a job that ends up paying a hundred dollars total.
3 to 4 hours is almost an entire day for you? In the US, that would be considered almost half a day. Either way, diagnostic time is normally billed at an hourly rate here, so fraud is not necessary.

Quote:
i tried to be as honest as possable and do the best i could for people but now i'm back to working for someone else
Most people work for someone, and I struggle with issues of honesty myself. My boss will often deceive people in the company as to the true reason a failure occurred. I've been asked to lie for the sake of preserving departmental image, but the most I'm willing to do is refrain from saying commenting at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Anyway a guy brought in his 6 month old new car for a service - filters, oil - nothing special. Except he had marked all the parts. This made the mechanic guy a bit mad so as he wasn't busy that day he replaced all the parts and replicated the guy's marks exactly.

Of course Mr Customer returns and claims his car has not been done at which point the mechanic shows him all the old parts in a bucket complete with the little marks on them. "Of course if you don't trust us you could take it to **** ?"

Never seen someone turn red so fast.
The mechanic is a fool. This was an opportunity to demonstrate his integrity and instead he demonstrated harassment to the customer. How else is one to know who is trustworthy? Trust must be earned, not foolishly given to everyone. People that place trust in unproven sources are known as gullible.

Placing an identifying mark on a part is harmless. It's an act that does not provoke conflict because it does not deceive anyone. Replicating that mark on a different part, however, is deceitful and provokes confrontation.

If I were the customer, I would be red too; with anger. If he were my employee, I would reprimand him.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 02-04-2012 at 12:18 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (02-04-2012)