Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Obviously you don't want to lose the car. The police or a judge is a next step to prevent a fraudulent "taking". May have to tow the car home, or similar. Good luck.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

i use to own a shop and i can tell you right now that one of the reasons that it's so hard to find an honest shop is because they normally go out of business.

you can spend 3 or 4 hours diagnoseing what exactly went wrong and it will be something like a bad injector that shorted out the wireing harness so you you charge the customer for an injector an a half hour labor for and then they refuse to pay for the diagnostic or at the very least raise all hell about it.

so then you've spent almost an entire day on a job that ends up paying a hundred dollars total. its an effin joke.

it sucks bad but i dont blame shop owners for being hardasses. you've got to make the money when you can, otherwise you go out of business.

i tried to be as honest as possable and do the best i could for people but now i'm back to working for someone else
Old 02-02-2012, 05:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Like merccom said.

What's good for the duck hunter isn't good for the duck. But nothing says you have to get shafted in this. Like slowmover wrote re. getting it towed - but you might need to beg/borrow/steal the $$ to get it towed.

BTDT. Except the beg/borrow/steal part.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm so glad I have the ability to wrench on my own ****. There are crooks out there and there are good shops.

If you have a bad experience, don't return. If you think they really stuck it in and broke it off on you, go ahead and bad mouth them to others. Better yet, find places on the interwebs where you can post reviews.

If you have a good experience, tell everyone you know, post on the internet about it...etc. We really need to do what we can to help out the good guys.

And on that note, I'd like to once again thank the guys at hi-tech transmission in e. longmeadow mass for the work they did awhile back for me. I've had good experiences and bad with shops. They stand out as the best experience I had when they fixed someone else's mistake for me at a fraction of what I expected to pay. if you need auto tranny work done and they are within a few hundred miles, use them.

Last edited by pete c; 02-02-2012 at 06:58 AM..
Old 02-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
Eco-ventor

Princess - '92 Mazda MX-3 GS
House of Tudor
Team Mazda
90 day: 53.54 mpg (US)

Shirubāarō (*´ω`*) - '05 Toyota Prius Executive
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.88 mpg (US)

Blue Thunder - '20 Hyundai IONIQ Trend PHEV
Team Hyundai
Plug-in Hybrids
90 day: 587.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to jakobnev
Quote:
Originally Posted by merccom View Post
it sucks bad but i dont blame shop owners for being hardasses. you've got to make the money when you can, otherwise you go out of business.
I hope you are not trying to make the case that losing money on legitimate work is an excuse to defraud innocent people.

2016: 128.75L for 1875.00km => 6.87L/100km (34.3MPG US)
2017: 209.14L for 4244.00km => 4.93L/100km (47.7MPG US)
Old 02-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
For the other times, I demand to see the items they replaced. Very easy to tell if rod ends were garbage, or if spark plugs really were worn down, etc. Always, always have them show the supposed worn items.
Would you accept being shown actually worn items that supposedly came out of your car? You really shouldn't be at a shop you can't trust, and if they want to scam you then they're going to be able to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 02-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Deceptive - '98 Dodge Neon R/T
90 day: 44.38 mpg (US)
I honestly expected to open this and see that some stupid california law got your car impounded. I've been hit a few times by that.

Not that your situation was much better, just expecting something different. Good luck with everything.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #18 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Would you accept being shown actually worn items that supposedly came out of your car? You really shouldn't be at a shop you can't trust, and if they want to scam you then they're going to be able to.
I worked for "experience" once at a good garage, mainly as the gofer and tea maker for a week or so - unpaid, I thought it would be good to learn. So after being sent for the "right handed spanner" and "a long stand" I was allowed to follow the main guy for a couple of days.

This place was legit, they had another dealer who sold the same cars down the road 10x the size who ripped people off.

Anyway a guy brought in his 6 month old new car for a service - filters, oil - nothing special. Except he had marked all the parts. This made the mechanic guy a bit mad so as he wasn't busy that day he replaced all the parts and replicated the guy's marks exactly.

Of course Mr Customer returns and claims his car has not been done at which point the mechanic shows him all the old parts in a bucket complete with the little marks on them. "Of course if you don't trust us you could take it to **** ?"

Never seen someone turn red so fast.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Burner - '93 Volkswagen Golf TD GL
90 day: 42.13 mpg (US)
Quote:
you can spend 3 or 4 hours diagnoseing what exactly went wrong and it will be something like a bad injector that shorted out the wireing harness so you you charge the customer for an injector an a half hour labor for and then they refuse to pay for the diagnostic or at the very least raise all hell about it.

so then you've spent almost an entire day on a job that ends up paying a hundred dollars total. its an effin joke.

What you say is true, but I'd rather be a broke honest man than a thief who feeds on his fellow man for a living.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
i use to own a shop and i can tell you right now that one of the reasons that it's so hard to find an honest shop is because they normally go out of business.
True of any business I suppose, although I don't believe it is often the difference between staying in business or closing shop. Usually lying/cheating/stealing is the difference between making a little money, and making money hand over fist (thinking of Lehman Bros, Goldman Sachs, S&P, etc).

Quote:

so then you've spent almost an entire day on a job that ends up paying a hundred dollars total.
3 to 4 hours is almost an entire day for you? In the US, that would be considered almost half a day. Either way, diagnostic time is normally billed at an hourly rate here, so fraud is not necessary.

Quote:
i tried to be as honest as possable and do the best i could for people but now i'm back to working for someone else
Most people work for someone, and I struggle with issues of honesty myself. My boss will often deceive people in the company as to the true reason a failure occurred. I've been asked to lie for the sake of preserving departmental image, but the most I'm willing to do is refrain from saying commenting at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Anyway a guy brought in his 6 month old new car for a service - filters, oil - nothing special. Except he had marked all the parts. This made the mechanic guy a bit mad so as he wasn't busy that day he replaced all the parts and replicated the guy's marks exactly.

Of course Mr Customer returns and claims his car has not been done at which point the mechanic shows him all the old parts in a bucket complete with the little marks on them. "Of course if you don't trust us you could take it to **** ?"

Never seen someone turn red so fast.
The mechanic is a fool. This was an opportunity to demonstrate his integrity and instead he demonstrated harassment to the customer. How else is one to know who is trustworthy? Trust must be earned, not foolishly given to everyone. People that place trust in unproven sources are known as gullible.

Placing an identifying mark on a part is harmless. It's an act that does not provoke conflict because it does not deceive anyone. Replicating that mark on a different part, however, is deceitful and provokes confrontation.

If I were the customer, I would be red too; with anger. If he were my employee, I would reprimand him.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 02-04-2012 at 12:18 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (02-04-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread