View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #34 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Results of my test run with my new alt delete switch today are to my like. I was able to drive 135 miles today mostly on the grid charge. The run to the junkyard in Riverside was in the 40s/50s AM temps, uphill, and into a significant headwind for 65 or so miles: 54mpg and I only needed to use the alternator a couple minutes to keep the battery voltage over 12volts. This was almost without EOC, almost entirely engine on coasting (G.L.E.N.). I recharged on the grid at my buddy's place while we scrounged for parts for his Metro and my Civic. Came home without ever flipping the switch to start the alt: 73.5 mpg in the 70 degree tailwind, downhill return run. My total day-long average was about 63 mpg, averaging 55-60 mph.

My main goal with the alt switch was to make it easy to return the car to alternator functions during longer trips, during which the battery could not be expected to last. I got that. Today, I could play the radio or whatever and not worry about voltage drop. My alt is merely backup now!

Brucepick: I noticed you said that your car seemed to run an A/F ratio more rich when you went alt free, correct? I don't think I encountered that. Though longterm fuel trim was somewhat rich, 0.78 going out and 1.56 coming back, I am not sure that would be very unusual in my (admittedly spotty) observation of fuel trim data on my UG.

Great drive today!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.