View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #80 (permalink)
mans
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys View Post
Normally I would agree. but in a car like a Geo Metro XFI the car itself even with electric pump uses SO little power that just installing 2 deep cycles will give you a WEEKS run time between charges. unlimited time in summer with just a couple decent solar panels.

now the engine does absolutely nothing but "move the car"

in something like my van or my pops towncar. well battery would not last an hour.

but the metro needs so little power. even my 5.1 surround sound only takes 30watts.

the problem with the air turbine power is that now your once again powering the water pump WITH YOUR ENGINE since your engine now has to work harder with higher drag.

by going pure electric and no alternator I transfer the power needs of that equipment to my multiple orders of magnitude cheaper HOUSE ELECTRIC power instead of my cars gas tank.
yes, I agree with you on that.
I'd say even if you installed a small 5-10 gpm ewp(yes, 5-10 gpm) with a teeny weeny amp draw you'd be fine on the metro cuz if the engine gets too hot during a period where additional cooling is required the engine cooling fan would run a little more then usual to make up for it and you'd be fine