View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Previa View Post
Time will tell.
You are right that time will tell, but I'd predict that Connclark is correct about the aero costs. Your best way to find out will be with A-B-A testing. I love your initiative and this is close to a mod I want to do, but I plan for 2mm thick and flexible panels that will form-fit to the roof. This thicker panel mounted on the roof rack looks a little like a wing. I think if there is any way for you to do it and are committed to this hardware, you could move it to the trunklid. You might even make it a bit of a trunklid flat spoiler if it won't fit on the available surface. There would still be aero issues there, but I think they'd be less significant that your current wing-like roof mounting. Maybe others will chime in pointers.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.