View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 09:38 AM   #24 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hello,

Nissan says that they will be "lightweighting" their entire line -- they are going for %15 weight reduction.

Honda is planning a new hybrid-only model that seats 5 and they say it will be the least expensive hybrid sold in the US.

Toyota is working on the 1/X (say: 1 Xth), which is a 4 seat carbon fiber car similar to the Prius -- that has a curb weight of 926 pounds!

Aptera will start production of their Type 1E and Type 1H in October of 2008 -- it gets between 130 and 300+ miles per gallon (equivalent, in the case of the all-electric 1E)!

They are doing just about everything possible to gain efficiency:

Drag is 0.11cg
Weight is ~1,400 pounds (I think)

Check out the Popular Mechanics video about the Aptera:
Aptera's Super-MPG Electric Typ-1 e: Exclusive Video Test Drive

Loremo (in Germany) is going to build a 4 seat car that gets 85mpg in it's faster model, and 157mpg in it's more efficient model. They are starting with a diesel engine (50HP in the former, and 20HP in the latter).

I think we can learn a lot from these and other cars: the Aptera uses three video cameras and three screens on the dash for views behind and beside it. The Loremo has it's raison d'etre of light weight with structural safety, by not having any side doors.

What if Honda put multiple latches on the side doors of the 2009 Fit? How much weight could they save, because the doors add strength and resist impact?

What if they installed video cameras in place of the side mirrors, or designed (mostly) inboard mirrors?

It seems to me that a serial electric hybrid is the way to go, and lighter weight and better aerodynamics are the way to go. Front wheel drive is great for the usual reasons AND you can gain the most regenerative braking that way.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Last edited by NeilBlanchard; 05-26-2008 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: typos, added link