Thread: 7000 Volts DC
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 11:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGrey View Post
Also, if you reverse the electrodes, you can make the dust stick to a piece of metal, like the Ionic Breeze, right?
Basically, the device has 120 VAC in (2-wires: neutral and hot), and one neutral DC wire as the output. If the 2 input wires are reversed, could the dust-plate work or likely short-out the works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGrey View Post
How low is low current? You'd be surprised how little it takes to stop your heart.
All of us have likely been shocked at 30,000 Volts: Static Electricity. Where it gets deadly is the Amperage and location of current travel through the body. My EMT/Fire classes (ages ago) focused more on the treatment and safety rather than the cause. The mechanism of electric shock generally causes the muscles to tense up in appendages, and with the hand especially, grasp the source more tightly. Rule #1 was to not become a victim yourself, so often it was a helpless venture to aid in getting someone away from the shock source. Most of the time the power had been cut and then treatment began. Usually 2 burn marks for high Amp stuff. Then there's the heart defibrillator. One Medic didn't take the "Clear" announcement seriously and had a hand on the stretcher during a shock. Knocked him on his arse. He was really lucky -- I think it was up to 360 Joules on that one.

To me, the most annoying (usually) non-lethal shocks are in-house residential telephone lines. I spent a summer installing Ethernet cable that usually shared a splice terminal with that zap of Ma Bell nearby.

Anyways, too bad it can't be used as some crazy add-on to negatively charge fuel particles or something for amazing FE!

RH77

_
_