View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
BHarvey
Master EcoModder

Sweetie - '11 Hyundai Sonata GLS
90 day: 39.35 mpg (US)

My Miles - '03 Combo GLS/KLX/Ninja
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)

Sipper' - '04 Kawasaki Ninja 250
90 day: 74.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
I have the same problem. Short trips in winter = cold operation = lousy gas mileage.

The most effective solution (that is also easiest and cheapest) is to do a full radiator block. On some cars you can simply slide a piece of cardboard in the space in front of the radiator. I'm lucky in that the cardboard will stay there unsupported, and it is easy to insert and remove, taking only seconds to do it.

Another option is to make a warm air plenum that will route engine heat to the airbox. I'm working on one for one of my cars and will post a thread about it soon.
Already have a hot air intake using a K&N Apollo set with Airraid tubing.
Need to insulate it as my AIT rises as the intake tubing temp rises.
I have the snorkel 1" above my exhaust manifold and you would think you would get hot air immediately, but no.

The AIT gets to 50+ over ambient in that 5 mile drive to work.

The stock intake took much longer to heat up, but it was a LOT more mass to heat before giving hot air. The lower block helped it heat up quicker, but it's no where near as good as the current set up in terms of heat/time ratio!

I will insulate it very shortly though.

With the exception of about 6" of snorkel hose, the entire intake track is directly behind the shroud opening for the radiator, so when the lower grill is open it gets cold air blowing over the intake track and cools itself down.

It gets the AIT cooler the more you press the gas. Coasting heats it back up.

Looks to have made a 1.25 mpg improvement though, will know more with more miles on it.