View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #28 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroBodine View Post
I probably won't know until April if I am going to make it this year. I wonder if I can get into Class I with my "slightly" modified Jetta. EPA is 25mpg.
For 2010 and 2011 there were "modded" versions of most classes. Would have been one for each class if a modded car had entered for each.

Your gas log shows ~35-38 mpg in April 2011, and that was without the boat tail. Running in April weather this year I'd expect you will do very well. With the boat tail, I'd say it definitely be registered as modded. All the other mods to the car should also qualify it as modded but they're not quite as visible.

If you register, the organizers will likely ensure there's a class that your car will fit into. I won't guarantee that there will be a class where your car's EPA will be right at the max for the class, with all others in that class having substantially lower EPA #s.

The classes breakdown on this page:
http://www.greengrandprix.com/about.pdf
is from the 2011 GGP. Document Properties: Created 3/14/2011
So far as I can see, the 2012 version isn't out yet.

I'd expect to see a revision to the classifications for 2012. That's based on the fact that the 2011 GGP had the classes revised from the 2010 GGP. It seems the organizers revised the classes after most entries came in, to morph them to accommodate the field of cars entered. Sensible to do, considering that ecodriving and ecomodding are still evolving.

In registering, I'd write in somewhere (I did it in the "Fuel type" entry box) EXACTLY what the EPA #s are and which features of the car determined that EPA #. The reason is that they only ask for year, make and model, nothing about auto/standard tranny or engine type. So they can't reliably determine EPA unless you tell them. Just my outspoken opinion.

Last edited by brucepick; 02-12-2012 at 06:58 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brucepick For This Useful Post:
JethroBodine (02-12-2012), jime57 (03-09-2012)