View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kincurd
EcoModding Lurker

Best 14" (x 5"-6") 4x100mm wheels under $100/ea?

Edit:Correction, the width can be 5"-6.5"!

I drive an 02 Corolla.

Right now, I have those stock generic holey-steel wheels with snow tires on them, with a second set of tires for the other 3 seasons (I have to have someone change out the tires twice a year).

Come summer, it'll be my B-Day and I've been offered a nice gift, new wheels. Which would be perfect for summer-season. I could keep the heavy-wheels with their snow tires on 'em for winter. Further cost savings since I could change out the wheels myself!

I can't really ask the Mrs. to spend more than $400 though, which is quite reasonable for rims I think.

Are Honda insight wheels the only option, or could I get something yet even lighter? It seems like nearly 12lbs/ea is great (Honda Insight), but I can find wider and taller wheels that are only 10lbs each (shown as example. I'm sure they can be found cheaper), so you'd think thinner and shorter wheels could be found lighter.

Anyway, a lot of car sites don't let you sort by weight or even list weight. And then on top of that, 14" doesn't seem to be a popular size to cater to.
I found extremely light 6-7lb 14" wheels but they cost like $600 each.

I will continue my searching, but if someone here has any ideas, I'm all ears!

I plan to put proper wheel covers on both sets of wheels.

Update: I've been searching for wheels off and on while I'm at work today, and still no luck.

I can find Honda Insight wheels (the original good ones) for about $111.00/ea before shipping. Mazda 14" BBS Alloys for 92/93 for about $200/ea (those are apparently 10lbs or less).

I can find the Volk Racing CE28N wheels for as low as $400/ea before shipping. Those are the crazy-light wheels that would fit.

Even if someday I can get the Volk's, I should at least have lighter wheels in the mean-time for cheap. By the time I can afford and excuse getting the Volk's, the cheaper wheels will have paid for themselves.

Last edited by Kincurd; 02-13-2012 at 05:26 PM..