View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
I owned a 1993 Del Sol S since 2008. Actually my step-dad owns it now so its still around. It was manual, but pretty much the same car as yours. I did not hypermile it and was able to get up to 41 MPG a tank depending on highway speeds (80% highway driving). With an automatic you might be a little less but following some techniques you could very well top 40 MPG.

First, the Del Sol is very lightweight. I think your still under 2400 lbs even with the auto tranny. You still have room to move, though. Swap those heavy steel wheels with some 14" Honda Civic HX wheels (11 lbs) or other lightweight wheels for starters. Get some LRR tires. Secondly, 92-96 Del Sols had the AUX lights that were next to the headlamps. They were pretty much useless. I would devise a way to cover them for increased aero performance. You could even upgrade to the 97 bumper that got rid of them if your budget allows. Maybe even do a lower grille block. Finally, if you are really serious about MPG performance out of this car and you have the mechanical ability, swap the auto for a 5sp. Information on this swap is readily available on the internet and has been done tons of times. A 5spd will really open up possibilities with this car.

PS: Dont forget your scangauge so you can measure your performance!