View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsway View Post
I have a Bluetooth OBD2 reader which I am using with my HTC desire and the Torque app.

I have also just ordered an Ultraguage EM - which I'm hoping will work with my VW Golf, if not I'll use with my Daihatsu Cuore (which is actually a Perodua Kelisa!)

Use of the instantaneous MPG readout is an obvious one- but there is also a lot of stuff available like fuel trim, timing advance, Lambda voltages etc.

I'm wondering if there is an easy guide somewhere to what one should be monitoring to ensure the engine is running well. ie: What should I be looking for when looking at fuel trims and Lambda switching?

How can I tell if the ECU is in open or closed loop??

TIA
Don't worry too much about all the technical info that is available. This information was meant to help troubleshoot problems and do tests. The only numbers you need are the current MPG, trip MPG, and maybe % load. Monitoring these numbers will help you improve your driving. Things like coolant temp, air intake temp, etc. are useful in fine tuning your techniques.

You should assume that your engine is running well if you don't notice anything unusual or have any check engine lights. Just because you now have the info doesn't mean you need to monitor it to look for potential problems. Your ECU already does that for you and will let you know about it.