View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Hmm why would the auto have a different O2 sensor? I did not know that. I am with you in thinking the 5-wire was required to do lean burn, which is why I assumed all HX's had them.

Many people with HX's run both the scangauge and MPGuino. The scangauge is nice because it gives you all that info.

Swapping trans. is quite a bit of work, but if you can pull out a CVT you should have no problem putting in a 5spd. The best route to take would be to find a donor 5spd civic and pull of all the parts you need. That way everything is already there you just need to swap the parts out. But like I said before you should have no problem with 40 mpg with the CVT so it might not be worth it to swap to 5spd.

I reccommend the compression test if all of your other efforts fail. I bought my HX about 1 1/2 years ago. I didnt notice until a month ago that the check engine light bulb had been removed. Turns out I had a CEL this whole time! It was for a misfire but I hardly noticed because the car still ran pretty well. I did a compression test trying to figure out why its misfiring and I had only 25 PSI in cyl. #2.