View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #50 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
Electrical load reductions would definitely be a worthwhile component of a GPES.

[EDIT]
On second thought (investigation), the concept is already covered, briefly, in the Master List of 65+ proven mods, under Alternator Delete...
65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com
On my earlier suggestion to rename "Alternator Delete" to "Grid Powered Electrical System" or GPES - - -

On third thought (fourth? fifth??), somehow the term "Alternator Delete" conjures up images of home town drag strip runs. True that the item in the "65 mods" thread did mention the other critical component, the deep cycle battery.

I think we should call it EPES, for Externally Powered Electrical System.
"Grid Powered..." or GPES doesn't include solar. "Externally Powered Electrical System" states what's really being done, and hints at its most significant feature: you're no longer getting electricity by burning gasoline in the engine.

Projects like these go way beyond a simple deletion of the alternator. In fact the alt often remains in place, with the belt in place also.

I think there's a case to be made that it deserves a more descriptive name when you combine a disabled alternator plus a carefully selected deep cycle battery, plus a charger, plus wiring and switching to enable the use of the alt when wanted. And maybe even wiring and switching to enable the use of two separate batteries as needed, to make the system more flexible and more capable.

I suggest EPES, for Externally Powered Electrical System.

Last edited by brucepick; 02-17-2012 at 11:11 PM..