View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
I believe the recommended pressure is only 32psi, and it seems like anything between 36 and 39 is virtually the same rolling resistance; judding by my coasting distances and MPG.
This is well put. If coasting distances (with a degree of confidence) prove that X psi is no better than Y psi, then you have a valid conclusion to keep it lower. Still, in my application, I haven't found any valid sources to persuade me not to run pressures over sidewall max.

The problem we have is the different kinds of tires on all kinds of vehicles.

If people want to play it safe, test in an open parking lot -- similar to Autocross (or even attend one). Try the same lot when it rains -- with different pressures. You can learn quite a bit about vehicle dynamics that way.

For me, there doesn't seem to be any difference with wet vs. dry traction -- but then again, I haven't "officially" tested it -- just parking-lot stuff. Oversteer is more pronounced in wet weather, but I'm driving slower, and IMO, helps the car's handling dynamics (front-heavy: tends to push in corners).

RH77

_
_