View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #25 (permalink)
viio
EcoModding Apprentice

Project EconoPolo - '04 Volkswagen Polo Twist TDi
90 day: 48.23 mpg (US)
Apologies for the absence, I've been moving house, job, and internet providers. I've made a few changes since I last posted.

Wheel "spats" are now in place for all 4 wheels - just a 5 inch piece of mudflap rubber in front of each wheel. Simple but the CFD work I did said they helped, so on they went!

I managed to get hold of some very large sheets of acrylic thanks to my dad, so I got 4 of them and set to work to create underbody panelling (belly pan). I used two pieces (about 3 feet X 4 feet each) and cut them to shape to fit the suspension components. This stuff is pretty heat resistant so I didn't even need to cut a space for the exhaust.

I've just completed CFD work on some test side sills - which I've posted here:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post289002

and tomorrow I'll try to fabricate something.

In other news, I experimented with a very small rubber roof spoiler in CFD to see if I could promote "detaching" the air at the back of the car. This was a fail though, as the results on the right show more turbulence and drag (in red) at the back of the vehicle. Still - at least I didn't have to get the glue out and test it with A-B-A, I tested it from my desk :P

Link to my Project EconoPolo (aeromodding a VW)
The Following User Says Thank You to viio For This Useful Post:
Cd (02-24-2012)